Nissan O'Neill Xtreme Verbier 08
14-23 March 08, Verbier, Switzerland
Since its start in 1996 the
Since its start in 1996 the “Xtreme” has been considered the most prestigious event in the freeride world. For the “grande finale” of the Freeride World Tour the elite of freeride will tackle the mythical North Face of the Bec des Rosses, a dauntingly steep and frighteningly jagged 500
The Bec des Rosses presents in places some 55 degrees sheer slopes. In an upright position
one could nearly lean on the face with one's elbow. With steep and narrow couloirs, high rock
cliffs, changing snow and terrain, it asks the riders to be particularly skilled with top physical
condition, thorough mountain experience, and top placements in the previous contests.
Around 5000 spectators join the riders at one of the most beautiful natural arenas of the Alps,
the Col des Gentianes in Verbier.
The winner of each discipline will receive the Gilles Voirol Trophy, named after a young swiss
snowboarder who was killed in an avalanche in Bella Coola in 2003. Gilles Voirol was the rookie
of the Verbier Xtreme’s first edition in 1996 and placed second. He had one of the best styles
and the greatest personality.
The Xtreme will reward a winner of each discipline of this final contest of the Freeride World
Tour and in addition the four Freeride World Champions 2008 will be crowned.
The contest will be transmitted live on www.freerideworldtour.com, www.xtremeverbier.com
and www.freecaster.com as well as on TSR, the national Swiss TV station
Official event website: www.xtremeverbier.com
• Friday 14 March: Mountain Recognition.
• Saturday 15 March: Contest. Prize giving ceremony. Prize giving FWT,
Kermesse – village events Friday – Sunday.
• Sunday 16 March-Sunday 23 March: Reserve days.
Riders: 32 in total.
• 12 male skiers and snowboarders
- Eight of the best ranked riders from the four previous contests of the Freeride
- Four wild cards
• Four female skiers and snowboarders
- Two of the best ranked riders from the previous contests of the Freeride World
- Two wild cards per discipline
Judged runs: 1 run, hike access to Bec des Rosses, 3222m:
• Vertical drop: 500 meters
• Average steepness: 45 degrees
• Features: numerous lips, gullys & jumps
• General: Freeride-Extreme / some Freestyle lines
Prize money: 100,000 USD