New boxes arrive at Panorama, BC
Thu 06 November 08
For the Showoff Terrain Park Designer, Eric Lange, Christmas came early last week, as he eagerly watched over 200 feet of brand new boxes roll into Panorama Mountain Village
For the Showoff Terrain Park Designer, Eric Lange, Christmas came early last week, as he eagerly watched over 200 feet of brand new boxes roll into Panorama Mountain Village.
The shipment included two 24ft Straight Boxes, a 24ft 8/16 Flat Down Box, a 32ft Roller Coaster to Kicker Box, a 34ft 12/10/12 Flat Down Flat Box, a 34 ft 12/10/12 Down Flat Down Box, and a 36ft 10/16/10 Battleship Box.
“This is the biggest shipment we’ve ever received”, claims Lange. “They look even better than I imagined. I’m excited and freestyle riders should be too.” Lange won’t give away all of his secrets for the new terrain park, but here’s an idea of what to expect.
- Last year, the park was divided into the upper rail park and the lower jump park. This year, the rail line and jump line will run parallel to each other down the entire length of Showoff, increasing the number of back to back jumps and/or rails to approximately twelve, compared to last year’s six.
- Most jumps will have double take-offs, varying in size from medium to extra-large.
- A permanent “Big Air” jump will be built at the base of the park, to provide local pro’s with something to train on.
- The park program and design is being built with progression in mind. The Showoff Terrain Park is for intermediate and advanced riders and will offer a gradual increase in difficulty from medium to extra-large. An entry level terrain park will offer small and medium features out of sight from the chairlift.
- The new Showoff Terrain Park will be supervised by a full-time employee and a group of volunteers that will ensure all features are safe, educate users on progression and etiquette, and suggest appropriate features to match the skill level of riders.
- The Small-Medium Terrain Park will be situated in the night skiing area and will have more surface features and plenty of small jumps for beginners to build confidence.
The snowmaking department is currently focusing their efforts on Showoff, preparing the run for pre-season race training in November. This increased snow coverage will facilitate the early construction of park features, and if weather permits, Lange plans to have part of the terrain park ready for opening day on December 12th.
Thu 06 November 08, Prali , Italy
The small and currently pretty unheard of resort Prali in Italy have been busy with the JCB's forming the new terrain park and they've also put in an order for rails. Not only that but they've only gone and created 2 new pistes as well.
Thu 06 November 08, Saas Fee, Switzerland
Severe weather conditions forced the qualification and finals to be run on the same day and the weather quickly became the dominating factor in both the qualification and final runs
Fri 07 November 08, Vail, USA
following on from the cancellation of the Air&Style in Munich, the 6Star Honda Session at Vail has been cancelled for 2008/09 citing unrecoverable production costs
Thu 13 November 08, Laax, Switzerland
The Streets will be providing the tunes, and Shaun White & Jamie Anderson are amongst the competitors in the 10th anniversary of the BEO in Laax, Switzerland
Thu 13 November 08, Breckenridge, USA
Looks like ol' Shaun White has gone and double booked himself between the 2nd event on the tour at Mount Snow and the BEO over in Switzerland. Travis Rice, Hannah Teter, Torah Bright and Danny Kass will be vying for the $1.5 million prize purse as well