With the best snow conditions that Australia has had in years, the time to launch The Mile High couldn’t be better.
“We are excited to play host to the inaugural Mile High event, we see this as the start of a great partnership. With great vertical, the best course builders and a village to enjoy after the event, Thredbo is the ideal location” said Thredbo’s Angus Thomson.
With Slopestyle premiering as a medal sport for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, The Mile High has big things planned.
The event aims to attract the best of the best to Australia to compete annually with Australian terrain providing and conditions providing the perfect environment for slopestyle competition. So far, with just 3 weeks to go until kick off, The Mile High has confirmed 3 of the current top 10 riders from the World Snowboard Tour men’s rankings list and from the women’s,our own Aussie Lauren Stavely who is currently sitting in 5th position, has also confirmed. Stay tuned for the final rider list on the 20th August once the top international invited athletes have all finalised their plans.
Thredbo’s world class slopestyle competition course designer, Charles Beckinsale, is excited to have a World Tour Pro event at his home mountain and had this to say about the course. “I’m really excited about the course design. We have been working on pushing the jump line up over the past few weeks and it is shaping up to be the best slopestyle course we have ever built in Thredbo. You can expect to see some very unique features in the jib section of the course that will lead into three jumps ranging from 40ft, 55ft and finishing with 60ft+.”
“Due to the popularity of the sport, the Australian competition snowboard scene is extremely strong in freestyle disciplines. Over the past few years Australia has had Olympic gold medallists, multiple World Champions and a very strong depth in junior ‘up and coming’ future stars. The growth of a strong professional domestic competition tour is vital to our future success in slopestyle, making that essential international level competition accessible for our Australian athletes. Thredbo is an ideal location for a major World Snowboard Tour event and the partnership provides a great future for The Mile High and world-class competition in Australia.” Rich Hegarty, owner of Stylewars and The Mile High
• ONLINE REGISTRATION has been extended until the 20th August on www.themilehigh.com.au
• Accommodation deals are available at The River Inn. www.riverinn.com.au
• Athlete sign in will take place at The River Inn on the afternoon of the 26th August and from early in the morning of the 27th until closing at 8.00am. Exact details will be emailed to registered competitors.
• The Mile High has joined forces with the Australian Rookie Tour and will be providing their 2 winners automatic FOC entry.
• The Mile High is brought you by Carlton Dry, Burton Snowboards, Thredbo Resort, San Pellegrino and Acqua Panna.