Horizon Festival 2014, a seven-day extravaganza of parties, fresh powder and blue sky days, has come to an end, leaving over 1,000 party goers heading home from Bulgaria, already looking forward to 2015.
Returning for its second year, Horizon Festival 2014 offered music from across the electronic music spectrum with particular highlights including...
Roy Davis Jr busting out the electro-soul grooves as the sun went down over the Secret Hotel Stage on Sunday evening.
- Kerri Chandler playing to a packed Gardenia Club on Sunday night. Kerri headlined this MadTech Records night alongside others from the MadTech family
- The first flakes of snow falling from the night sky as Dub Phizix and MC Strategy got the crowd going at the outdoor forest stage
- Local Bulgarian talent impressed the Horizon crowd once again. After a show stealing set in 2013, KiNK returned this year for an extended 2 hour live set accompanied by the awesome voice of Rachel Row
- Tofana, the Forest Stage and their unreal visuals, was the highlight for many who witnessed Bondax bringing the noise like only Bondax can. The lovely Andreya Triana, closely followed by the legendary Kerri Chandler brought this stunning stage to a close on Wednesday night.
- Ame’s set at The Gardenia Banquet Hall had people dancing to their exquisite techno until the light came up. Hosted by Electric Minds, this night presented an unbelievable trip through contemporary German techno sound.
- Channel One kept the crowd warm through the power of reggae– just what a winter festival needs!
- Two massive events were held in a local strip club - hosted by Exit Records and Critical Music; these nights are the hot ticket each year.
Still a relatively small festival, Horizon manages to retain an intimate feel, with a friendly crowd bumping into each other throughout the week, forming many new friendships along the way. Horizon’s artists also enjoyed the social atmosphere, jumping from party to party to catch other performances.
The skiing conditions were the best Bulgaria had seen in years; a massive dump of snow on the Sunday left Bansko looking like something out of a fairy-tale. With sunshine throughout the rest of the week and plenty of powder to play with, conditions on the slopes were just about perfect.
For the first time Horizon Festival built and shaped their very own snow park, right by The Secret Hotel Stage. Professional snowboarder, Seb Kerns and his team hosted several ‘Ride With a Pro’ sessions, offering tips and demonstrating tricks for festivalgoers keen to improve their repertoire.
The friendly locals, amazing food, low prices and general overall good feeling throughout the town only added to Horizon’s appeal.
As the powder settles once again over the Pirin Mountains and over 1,000 party people head home, plans are already afoot for next year. Âme summed up the feelings in the crowd; ending their set with Massive Attack’s Unfinished Sympathy. There is definitely more to come from this cracking festival! …roll on Horizon 2015!
Early Bird Tickets are on sale on Wednesday 2nd April
Tickets cost £149pp for Self-catering and £189 for 3* B&B Hotel.
Price includes 6 nights accommodation & festival pass