Kelly Clark and Scotty Lago qualified in the top spots for the finals, which are taking place on Saturday, March 2nd. On the women’s side, Kelly Clark went for huge amplitude with a run that started out with quite possibly the biggest crippler 720 stalefish grab ever done by a woman in competition, followed by a Cab 720 mute grab, lien air, backside 540 mute grab, frontside 540 indy grab and rounded out with a backside air.
Right behind her was Arielle Gold (USA) insecond and Queralt Castellet (ESP) in third. In total, 21 women from six different countries competed in Vail’s first-ever Olympic-sized halfpipe, and the top six riders will advance to the Burton US Open halfpipe finals.
In the men’s semi-finals, Scotty Lago led the field with a stylish winning run that included a frontside 540 indy grab to a backside 900 mute grab, frontside 900 nose grab, backside air, frontside 1080 truckdriver grab and finished things off with a Cab 720 mutegrab. Close behind him was Olympian Shaun White (USA) in second and Peetu Piiroinen (FIN) in third. All in all, 38 men from seven different countries competed in today’s halfpipe semi-finals, and 12 solidified a sought-after spot in the US Open halfpipe finals.
Women’s Halfpipe Semi-Final Results:
1. Kelly Clark USA, BURTON, 80.50
2. Arielle Gold USA, BURTON, 80.15
3. Queralt Castellet ESP, YONEX, 79.90
4. Kaitlyn Farrington USA, GNU, 77.80
5. Hannah Teter USA, BURTON, 74.78
6. Gretchen Bleiler USA, OAKLEY, 71.68
Men’s Halfpipe Semi-Final Results:
1. Scotty Lago USA, FLOW, 85.15
2. Shaun White USA, BURTON, 83.80
3. Peetu Piiroinen FIN, NIKE, 81.75
4. Louie Vito USA, RED BULL, 81.53
5. Stale Sandbech NOR, OAKLEY, 80.45
6. Spencer Shaw USA, UNDER ARMOUR, 79.78
7. Taylor Gold, USA, BURTON, 79.03
8. Ayumu Hirano JPN, BURTON, 78.65
9. Christian Haller SUI, BURTON, 78.63
10. Ryo Aono JPN, YONEX, 77.50
11. Benji Farrow USA, THE NORTH FACE, 77.28
12. Taku Hiraoka JPN, BURTON, 76.70
Tomorrow, don’t miss day three of the Burton US Open with slopestyle finals beginning at 9:50am MST. Also starting tomorrow, tune-in to watch live coverage from Vail on Universal Sports and NBC SportsNetwork, plus original live coverage, additional airings, run replays, fullwebcasts, broadcast schedules and more on www.Burton.com/USO. And remember to follow our line throughout the US Open at facebook.com/burtonsnowboards,#BurtonUSOpen, twitter.com/burtonsnowboard and @burtonsnowboard on Instagram.